Tuesday, December 2, 2008

--Also in Kite Runner, Sohrab saves Amir from Assef's brutality by using a slingshot. This scene mirrors the actions of Hassan earlier in the film. Is Amir's defense of Sohrab to General Taheri Amir's attempt to take a stand he didn't take earlier in the film? Or rather, does Amir redeem himself in the process of accepting Sohrab into his home?

As I had stated in my post below, I do not believe that Amir ever fully redeems himself. I do not think it is possible to redeem onself after doing something as awful as what Amir did. Instead, I believe that Amir is able to begin to feel more at peace by doing what he CAN presently to try to correct his past mistakes. Amir does not fully redeem himself in the process of accepting Sohrab into his home, but he does feel better about himself and in my opinion, becomes a much stronger person/character. I initially thought of Amir as a big baby. He wimped out at saving the life of Hassan, and so by going back to dangerous land, (Kabul) he must experience the harsh, negative reality of the conditions there. He has to suffer a bit to capture Sohrab, so he does not simply breeze through an easy experience in order to accept him into his home. This is good because it forces Amir to grow a thicker skin. As he does this, I think that he begins to feel at peace of mind and slightly redeemed, yet since he will never forget the past, not fully redeemed.

No comments: