Monday, December 1, 2008

Alternate Ending to Ferguson's Happiness

I know I'm not the only one who was diappointed by the ending of Happiness, so to contribute my thoughts on how it should have ended I have to say that I would have loved to see May and Edwin end up together. I couldn't stand Edwin's annoying wife Jenni, so in my eyes, Jenni would have caught Edwin and May having an awkwardly passionate affair at their house amidst Jenni's infamous post-it-notes. This would completely go against whatever the post-it notes read and would bring Jenni down. It would take a stab at the type-A types who try to be "perfect" and hint at the notion that perhaps perfection is not what a man is looking for or truly wants in a woman. Flaws are what make us unique and in my opinion, flaws and quirks are adorable. Maybe the image we have of May and her red lips and Edwin's scrawny body aren't "adorable" but the thought of them finding happiness through each other's company is. I would have loved to see Jenni cry and run out of the room--yet at the same time, see Edwin and May end up happily together.

1 comment:

mzebroski said...

I love your idea of them making love around all of the post- it notes! It is a perfect Happiness moment! It is so true that through out this whole book imperfect is exactly what Edwin wanted. He didn’t want to have a beautiful, skinny wife, there is nothing to love about that. Beauty fades and her skinny body wouldn’t have lasted forever. Also who wants to say that they love their wife because she is hot and perfect? Just the image you make about May’s red lips all over Edwin’s scrawny body adds to the hilarious aspect of this novel. Also just the reaction that Jeni would have had when she caught them would have made the perfect ending. But, honestly I totally agree with your idea about how flaws and quirks are what make people love you. I mean what is more cute than something different about someone you love. You want to be with only that person because they stand out to you, not because they are perfect and you are afraid of them like Edwin was. And anyways, it was clear that Jeni and Edwin’s mind blowing sex she learned from the book wasn’t working anyways so I think this ending is perfect just to sick with what the book was doing all along.